Welcome to Nerd Boys!
Nerd Boys provides inexpensive and simple solutions to common information technology (IT) problems faced in small and home offices (SOHO).
Having worked in the IT departments of several small businesses, we realize that money doesn’t grow on trees. Every IT expenditure is scrutinized down to the last dollar.
Small businesses can’t afford to spend lots of money on fancy, enterprise-class, proprietary software packages. Small businesses can’t afford vendor lock-in. Small businesses can’t afford to replace their entire fleet of computers every three years. Small businesses need powerful, inexpensive solutions that work.
Therefore, whenever possible, we use free and open source software (FOSS) in our solutions.
Areas of Expertise
We are constantly broadening our knowledge and skills. Here is a sample of some of our areas of expertise:
- Linux system administration (especially Ubuntu Linux).
- Windows system administration.
- Embedded systems customization and deployment (e.g. OpenWRT and Tomato on the LinkSys WRT54G series, Voyage Linux on the Soekris and pfSense on the Alix).
- Hard drive backup deployment and administration with hardware such as the High Rely drive array.
- Programming with Java and C#.
- Automated software testing with JUnit and NUnit.
- Requirements analysis.
- SQL query implementation.
- Data modelling and database design.
- Database administration of DB2 and SQL Server databases.
- Spam filtering with spamassassin.
- Content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal).
- Computer hardware specification, purchasing and maintenance.
- Remote access technologies (e.g. OpenVPN, VNC, ssh).
- Version control systems (e.g. Subversion).
- Firewalls (e.g. iptables).
- Windows and Linux interop.
- Help desk.
Do You Need a Computer Consultant?
We provide a wide range of computer and information technology consulting services in the Greater Vancouver area. Please contact us for more details.